Terms of Business
Who We Are
SC Mortgage Consultants is an independent Mortgage and Insurance brokerage. We are not limited in the range of mortgages we will consider for you. We provide holistic advice on mortgages and non-investment insurance products, priding ourselves on our reputation for offering a superior service based on honesty, integrity and a clear transparent work ethic that ensures we treat every client fairly and professionally.
We are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) who are the independent watchdog that regulates financial services
We will confirm to you in writing the basis of our recommendations. We will also provide you with an illustration which is a personalised description of the costs and features of the mortgage or product that we are recommending. You may ask us to provide you with additional illustrations for any mortgage or product for which you are eligible.
We are obliged to put in place controls to prevent our business from being used for money laundering and other forms of financial crime.
We will verify your identity before undertaking any business with you. To do this we may use electronic identity verification systems and we may conduct these checks from time to time throughout our relationship, not just at the beginning. The check may leave a ‘footprint’ on your credit file, but it will not affect your credit rating.
Conflict of interests
Although we will always try to act in your best interests there may be situations where we or one of our other customers have some form of interest in the business being transacted for you. If this happens or we become aware that our interests or those of one of our other customer’s conflict with your own interests, we will write to you and ask for your consent to proceed before we carry out any business for you. We will also let you know the steps we will take to make sure you are treated fairly.
The products and service we will provide you with.
We will advise and make a recommendation for you after we have discussed your needs in relation to protecting you, your family, your home or your business. We advise on non-investment protection products e.g. term assurance, income protection, critical illness and home insurance from a range of providers.
We provide an unlimited mortgage service. We will search the whole of the marketplace to find the most appropriate mortgage to suit your particular needs. We provide mortgages in the non-business and business markets and for first and second charge loans in both markets. Where required, we can also provide advice and make a recommendation on equity release mortgage products.
Please note; the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) do not regulate some buy to let mortgages.
Alternative Finance Options
Where we provide services in relation to increased borrowing on an existing mortgaged property theremay be an alternative option available that may be more appropriate. For example, you may be able to obtain a further advance from your existing lender or obtain an unsecured loan for the additional funds. Where your existing mortgage is a first charge against the property, a second charge mortgage may be available.
Equity release is a way of releasing the wealth tied up in your property. With an equity release scheme, you have to be over a certain age, (typically over 55) and own your own home. There are two main types of equity release plans on the market – Lifetime Mortgages and Home Reversion Plans.
Where you are eligible for equity release, we advise on equity release products. This means we will provide advice and make a recommendation after we have assessed your needs.
We provide advice from a comprehensive range of equity release products across the market.
An unsecured loan is a loan that can be obtained without the use of property as security and is supported by your creditworthiness instead. We offer a range of unsecured loans from a panel of lenders.
What we will Charge for our Service
We will not charge a fee for Insurance.
You will receive a quotation which will tell you about any other fees relating to any particular insurance policy. We will also be paid a commission from the Provider after the policy is in force.
We offer a selection of fee structures dependent on individual circumstances and requirements.
– No fee will be charged. We will be paid by commission from the lender.
– A fee of £250 is payable upon application, where we provide advice and a subsequent recommendation to obtain a mortgage through a lender that only offers mortgages to customers that apply direct. We will not receive a commission from the lender.
– A fee of £500 is payable upon completion of the mortgage. We will also be paid commission from the lender. This fee generally applies to standard mortgages.
– A fee of 1% of the mortgage loan is payable upon completion, subject to a minimum fee of £1,000. This means that on a mortgage of £50,000 a fee of £1,000 is payable upon completion. As a comparison, on a loan of £200,000 a fee of £2,000 is payable upon completion. We will also be paid a commission from the lender.
– An administration fee of £250 is payable upon application. We will also be paid commission from the lender on completion.
Second Charge Loans
For second charge loans we offer a selection of fee structures dependent on individual circumstances and requirements.
– No upfront costs – Ingard will cover the cost of the valuation and other associated costs. A fee of 5% of the loan is payable upon completion, subject to a minimum fee of £1,500. This means that on a loan of £50,000 a fee of £2,500 is payable upon completion. As a comparison, on a loan of £75,000 a fee of £3,750 is payable on completion. All fees are subject to a maximum fee of £4,000. We will also be paid a commission from the lender.
– Upfront costs – Costs such as the valuation are payable by you the client at outset. (A full list of costs will be provided at outset). A flat fee of £995 is payable upon completion. We will also be paid a commission from the lender. This fee generally applies to standard second charge loans.
– Upfront costs – Costs such as the valuation are payable by you the client at outset. (A full list of costs will be provided at outset). A flat fee of £1495 is payable upon completion. We will also be paid a commission from the lender.
You will receive an Illustration when considering a particular mortgage, which will tell you about any fees relating to it. If we are paid a commission from the lender, you have the right to request information on the levels of commission we will receive from the different lenders in relation to any mortgage product recommended.
– A fee of 1% of the mortgage loan is payable upon completion, subject to a minimum fee of £1,995. This means that on a mortgage of £50,000 a fee of £1,995 is payable upon completion. As a comparison, on a loan of £200,000 a fee of £2,000 is payable on completion. We will also be paid a commission from the lender.
– You will receive an Illustration when considering a particular equity release product, which will tell you about any fees relating to it.
If we are paid a commission from the lender, you have the right to request information on the levels of commission we will receive from the different lenders in relation to any mortgage product recommended.
An administration fee of £250 is payable upon application. We will also be paid a commission from the lender.
Refund of Fees
If we charge a fee on application or offer and your mortgage does not go ahead, you will receive no refund if we have carried out credit searches / research / product options and sourced a suitable mortgage provider.
Refer a friend Scheme
When a prospective customer notifies that they have been referred to SC Mortgage Consults by an external member who wishes to take up the Refer a Friend scheme, that can be arranged. The refer a friend Scheme can be retracted at any time and how the referee receives payment can also change. The Payment will be made after the completion of the mortgage, on a minimum loan amount of £150,000.
Who Regulates Us
SC Mortgage Consultants is a trading style of Sumy Begum Choudhury who is an Appointed Representative of Ingard Financial Limited, Ryan House, 18-19 Aviation Way, Southend, Essex SS2 6UN which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), 12 Endeavour Square, Stratford, London, E20 1JN www.fca.org.uk. Our firm reference number is 450731.
Our permitted business is recommending and advising on regulated mortgage contracts and regulated non-investment insurance contracts.
You can check this on the Financial Services Register by visiting the FCA’s website
www.fca.org.uk/firms/systemsreporting/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 1116768
What to do if you have a complaint
If you wish to register a complaint, please contact us:
– In writing: Write to Ingard, Ryan House, 18-19 Aviation Way, Southend, Essex SS2 6UN
– By phone: Telephone 01702 533 400.
– By email: Info@ingard.co.uk
If you cannot settle your complaint with us, you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).
Full details of the FOS can be found on its website at www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk
Are we covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS)?
The Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) is the UK’s statutory compensation fund for customers of authorised financial services firms who are unable to pay claims against them, usually because they have gone out of business.
You may be able to claim compensation from the FSCS if we can’t meet our obligations. The amount of compensation available will depend on the type of business and the circumstances of the claim.
We can provide more specific information on request, but as a guide:
Mortgages – eligible claims related to advising and arranging are covered for 100% of a claim up to a maximum limit of £85,000 per person per firm.
Insurance – in the majority of cases, eligible claims related to advising and arranging of protection products are covered for 90% of the claim, without any upper limit.
Further information is available from the FSCS at www.fscs.org.uk